Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Aqua Glycolic Facial Cleanser

© Donna Cook – All Rights Reserved

I have an extreme case of rosacea. My entire face turns beet red on exertion like hiking or skiing. I've been stopped numerous times because people think my blood pressure is spiking and I'm going to have a stroke.My dermatologist recommended Aqua Glycolic Facial Cleanser and Aqua Glycolic Face Cream. I think they’re both wonderful products. 

My rosacea is a full blown case. Besides the blushing and redness, I still get occasional breakouts that look like acne, even though I’m in my early 60’s. I also have thick areas known as plaques on my skin. The two most prominent are near the tip of my nose. I also have spider veins on the side of my nose. Both are very embarrassing to me. My ophthalmologist noticed the skin redness and told me that rosacea even can affect the eyes, which was very surprising. I do get an occasional sty on my lower eyelid because of the rosacea. 

There is no cure for rosacea. I’ve seen several suggested causes. One of the early suggestions was a skin infection caused by Helicobactor pylori, the bug implicated in gastric ulcers. I was prescribed a course of antibiotics, but stopped taking them after a month. They really didn’t help my specific case and I didn’t want to be on antibiotics long term. 

As you may know, the skin has its own natural population of flora and fauna. As absolutely creepy as is it sounds, a mite called Demodex folliculorum normally lives in the sweat and oil glands of the skin. According to rosacea.org, the mite’s gut contains Bacillus oleronius which has been linked to rosacea outbreaks. 


I’ve seen all sorts of treatments on the Internet. Some articles recommend low dose long term antibiotics. Others suggest “natural treatments” like apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil. I tend to stick to modern Western medicine so I use a high SPF sunscreen out doors and exfoliate my skin with over the counter glycolic acid product, Aqua Glycolic. 

This is a non prescription product. I’ve noticed that drug stores may not stock it with skin care products or behind the pharmacy counter or special order. Buying online is the easiest way. Here's what I like about Aqua Glycolic:
  • Lasts a long time. 
  • Don’t need to use very much, one or two pumps.
  • Cool soothing cream, doesn’t really lather.
  • My rosacea is greatly minimized when I use it regularly.
  • Does not dry out my skin.
  • No prescription needed, buy it any drugstore.
  • Gently exfoliates and skin is very smooth.
  • The label says that it can be used for shaving and I can see where it would be good to use. Personally, I prefer gels that lather up a lot rather than a smooth liquid.
  • Aqua Glycolic on a pedicure brush helps to exfoliate my heels. It's so much nicer than a pumice stone, nail sanding blocks or a metal rasp.
My dermatologist actually told me that I have "very very sensitive" skin. Aqua Glycolic only produces a slight tingling if I have not used it for a while. I had stopped using it for about a year and the rosacea came back with a vengeance. I learned my lesson and won't stop using it again!

According to their Web site, "Glycolic acids are natural anti-aging compounds found in sugar cane that help remove dead skin cells and moisturize your skin." I had oily skin until menopause and then dried up like a desert. Any type of soap or cleanser made my skin feel dry and itchy. I was afraid that Aqua Glycolic would dry my skin even more. Boy, was I wrong! It really does moisturize very well. 

Aqua Glycolic Facial Cleanser comes in a plastic six ounce pump bottle that I just leave in the shower. A single bottle is about $18.00 and triple packs are about $40.00, which as a savings of about $4.50 per bottle. I also use Aqua Glycolic Face Cream to give rosacea a one-two punch. Aqua Glycolic Face Cream is packaged in a two ounce jar for about $24.00. They also offer Toner, Shampoo and Body Lotion which I want to try. Those prices range from about $16,00 to $25.00. These prices are mid to low compared with other glycolic acid cleansers. Of course, soap and water is the cheapest way to clean your skin. However, soap makes my skin very flaky and aggravates the rosacea.

Recently, a physician did a double take when she looked at me and then my birth date. She said that I looked about ten years younger than my actual age. Of course, picking the right parents helps, but I think that using Aqua Glycolic Facial Cleanser and Face Cream regularly is a factor. 

I am so glad my dermatologist recommended an over the counter skin care product, not a prescription item. Aqua Glycolic Facial Cleanser and Face Cream work terrifically for me. 
Image Credit: Allposters.com